Friday, June 8, 2012

Pinterest Party: Owl Cake


I'm linking up with Leighann @Living with Three Hobbits and a Giant for her pinterest party this week!  Click HERE for Pinspiration or to link up!


Last weekend we had a camping party for Maddie's 4th birthday.  It was a lot of prep work but also a TON of fun!  I enjoy doing homemade goodies for parties.  It's cheaper and it's more personal.  I hope my girls grow up appreciating the work and love that go into it.  Well...with a camping party I wasn't really sure how I was going to do a cake.  Then we added the owl theme to go with the camping theme (to make it a little more girly).  I did a cupcake cake last year so when I saw this owl cupcake cake, I KNEW I had to do it!  Here's the original link:  http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/night-owls-cupcakes-984215/

And here's a picture of the final product when I finished Maddie's cake:


I couldn't find plain chocolate wafer cookies like the directions call for, so I made chocolate sugar cookies and cut them out with a round cookie cutter.  The eyes are made using a cookie similar to thin mints because the cookies I made were too big...

This was such a fun project and turned out to be a huge hit!  However, next year I'll know better than to put coconut on a cake for 4 year olds...that part didn't go over well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment