In this post I'll share with you what the girls are getting in their treat bags for our trip. We have four legs of the trip. First, from Houston to Knoxville. Second from Knoxville to Baltimore. Third from Baltimore to Gadsden, AL. Finally, from Gadsden back to Houston.
I put all of these legs of the trip in Google maps and found cities in between at regular intervals. I'm doing citites about 3-3 1/2 hours apart. When we go through each city (or at stops), the girls will each get their bag for that designated city. It gives them a little activity and a little snack and just kind of motivates them to look forward to the next city.
The first leg of the trip we'll be driving through the night. Because of this, we're only giving the girls two bags for this 14 hour trip. We're really hoping they sleep well through the night so we won't have to worry with the fussy kid/tired parent combination!
Trip One (Friday night):
- The first treat bag will be given in Beaumont, TX. They'll get a little clipboard with a notepad on it along with some pencils. For snack they'll have pretzel balls and m&m's.
- They'll get the second bag in Lafayette, LA. This time they'll get a glow stick (hopefully it'll be dark or close to dark by then!) and some Pringles and skittles to snack on.
Trip Two (most of the day Monday. We're anticipating a 9 hour drive):
- First bag: Marion, VA. They'll each get a little stuffed animal along with a dollar store doctor kit. Chex mix and a lollipop for a snack. (I thought it would be cute to have a lollipop with their doctor visit!). I decided to put this as their first toy because my girls love their doctor kits so I'm hoping this will keep them happy for quite a while. I also expect if they have periods of boredom, maybe they'll go back to this one.
- Second bag: Staunton, VA. They'll get a little wooden car and Funyons and fruit snacks.
- Third bag: Silver Spring, MD. They'll get a super annoying microphone (you know the ones that kind of echo?...yeah...those). I know it'll be really annoying for mom and dad, but the girls LOVE those things! I figure by the end of this trip, they'll be getting anxious to get their and this will lift their spirits. They'll also get Nutter Butters and Smarties.
Trip Three (all day Saturday. We have to get the first 12 hours of our 24 hour drive out of the way)
- First bag: Staunton, VA. They'll each get a little toy horse, some pizza Combos and some gummy worms.
- Second bag: Marion, VA. Maddie will get a little compass and calculator. She's loving math these days so I thought she might have fun with that...and the compass will help her draw nice circles in her notebook. Sadie will get a new DVD. I picked up a Berenstain Bears Christmas DVD for her. For snack they'll have pretzel balls and m&m's.
- Third bag: Knoxville, TN. This time Maddie will get a movie. Yes, I know two movies in a row is going to be torture!! But I knew if I didn't put them close, Maddie would get upset that Sadie got a movie and she didn't! So...Maddie is getting The Dog who Saved Christmas and Sadie is getting a little tea set. For snack they'll have Chex Mix and fruit snacks.
- Fourth (and final for the day) bag: Fort Payne, AL. They'll each get another glow stick, some Pringles and Skittles.
Trip Four (all day Sunday. This will be the final leg of the trip...another 12 hours.)
- First bag: Livingston, AL. The girls will get pom poms. Yay...these are going to be super annoying too. But, the girls will love them so they should stay happy for a while (I hope!) For snack they'll get more Chex Mix and a big Tootsie Roll.
- Second bag: Picayune, LA (I have no idea how to properly pronounce that city). They'll get a dry erase board that has activities and a space to draw pictures. I think Maddie will like it. I worry that Sadie may draw on the van...we'll see! For snack they'll have Combos and gummy worms.
- Third bag: Lafayette, LA. I found cute little mermaid sets at the dollar store so they'll get those this time. With their mermaids they'll get Pringles and Reese's Pieces.
- Fourth bag: Liberty, TX. Another glow stick!! I really hope they're asleep by this point because I'm going to want to be asleep by this point! ha! Pretzels and m&m's for a snack this time.
I didn't spend a ton of money on these bags. I shopped at the Dollar Tree, 99 cent only store, Target dollar spot, Walmart and the trick-or-treat buckets (shhhh....don't tell the girls!!). Of course, you have to expect to spend a certain amount, but don't go crazy. I'm not expecting these toys to be permanent toys in our home. If anything gets lost or broken, it's ok. The point is just entertainment.
Here are some pictures for you :)
Here's a shot of all of Maddie's goodies.
Here are Sadie's. Another thing I should note: have everything opened up out of the package and ready for the kids to play with. You don't want all the trash in the car to deal with. And the point of it isn't for them to see they have brand new toys, it's just to have something new and fun for them to play with. By all means, by a "lot" of used toys for this and save some money!!
Here are Sadie's bags with the toys inside and the treats ready to put in. Things that didn't come individually packaged got put into snack size baggies. I tried to keep it to 1/3 cup or less (each Pringles bag has 8 Pringles...and that may be too much even!). I don't want to fill the kids up, but having snacks at regular intervals will keep them happy.
So, there you have it. The treat bags. I have a feeling these are going to be legendary in our family :) Please let me know any questions you have or any suggestions to improve my process!
Thanks for reading :)