Thursday, December 31, 2009

Potica

Potica is a special holiday tradition in Eric's family.  I had never heard of it until the first time I met his family at Christmas 2003.  Eric really enjoys it and looks forward to it when we go to visit his family so I wanted to attempt to make it for him for Christmas this year since we weren't visiting with his family...and this way it is becoming a tradition we'll pass down to our children.  I was a little nervous before I attempted making this bread since I have a history of having really bad luck when it comes to rolling any type of dough...it usually sticks to everything and I end up scraping it in the trash.  Well, luckily the Potica turned out.  Here are some pictures of the process:

This is the walnut, butter, vanilla, egg white filling


Here's the dough all ready to roll out



The dough rolled out, I probably could've made it bigger and more even, but I know for next time!



The filling spread out over the dough


 I just realized I didn't take a picture of it rolled up :(


The FOUR loaves of Potica, in the oven starting to bake



Mmmmm....all done.  Apparently it's a good thing when it splits on the side like this, I thought I messed up!



The sliced Potica on Christmas morning



A close up.  Yummy!



Maddie is an official Slovenian!  She really enjoyed the Potica, although she called it "cake".  :)


We all enjoyed the Potica!  We finished one whole loaf in about 3 days, I sent a loaf home with my mom to share with other family members, and we have two loaves in the freezer.  Maybe I'll get one out to have with Maddie for New Year's!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I could never attempt bread. I am horrible at it!

    ReplyDelete