Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Mind of a Preggo...

My mind is running around in circles.  From the moment I open my eyes in the morning until I close them at night (and sometimes beyond that even) my mind is in overdrive.  I can't seem to keep my calendar straight in my head like I used to.  At least my phone has a great calendar to keep track of everything and give me reminders!  I'm trying to keep active with Maddie and I have dr. appointments and Murphy's had a lot of vet appointments lately too.  So keeping up with all of it is overwhelming.  Here are some things going through my mind right now...

1.  3 weeks and 2 days until our c-section!  While I'm relieved to know the date our baby will arrive, I'm nervous that she could potentially come early on her own.  I'm also relieved to know that I've already been through a c-section once so there shouldn't be any big surprises in my recovery.  However, BECAUSE I've been through it before I know what to expect and it terrifies me.  My recovery with Maddie was pretty easy, I was doing step aerobics at 4 weeks postpartum!  This time I have a toddler thrown in the mix :)  Also, when I was pregnant with Maddie I didn't really read up on all the information about c-sections.  I was very unprepared and didn't really know any of the risks involved.  Now that I've been through it, I'm fully aware of all the risks and that terrifies me. 

2.  I've been trying to keep Maddie active and out of the house now that she's out of Mother's Day Out for the rest of the summer (she goes back Aug 30th).  On one hand I want to keep her busy and get in our last few weeks of one-on-one time since she'll be missing out on that soon, on the other hand I don't want her to get so used to getting out of the house that she gets bored and restless being at home after the baby comes!  I wish I knew the "right" thing to do with her at this point.

3.  It's getting harder and harder to stay active with Maddie!  A couple of weeks ago at one of my appointments my doctor told me I have a small hernia, which is why I've been having a lot of belly pain since mid-late June.  It seems to get progressively more painful for me, especially when I've been on my feet a lot or when I "over do it".  This makes me want to stay home in the mornings and conserve my energy for the evenings when it seems there is so much to do.  Tonight I wrapped my baby wrap around my belly to apply pressure and that seems to be helping a little.  At least I know I'll be able to get the kitchen cleaned up before bed tonight!

4.  My poor Murphy (the dog) had to have her tail amputated today...it had been bleeding from an unknown injury for the past 4 weeks.  There was nothing more they could do so we made the decision to take it off.  I haven't seen her yet so I don't know how much tail they left.  They said she started trying to lick at her tail as soon as she woke up from the surgery so they had her pretty heavily sedated and wanted to keep her overnight with heavy sedation.  We'll pick her up tomorrow shortly after noon and she'll have to stay sedated at home for several days.  Poor puppy!

5.  Maddie has turned into a hitter.  I don't know if it's something she picked up at school or if it just comes with the curiosity of a 2 year old.  All I know is that I'm the target :(  It doesn't seem to start out with the intention of hurting me but once I address it, then the evil streak comes into her eyes and she hits me on purpose.  I'm being consistent with time outs when she hits but I guess she forgets the "lesson" after a couple of hours...so the hitting/time out cycle continues through out the day.  Hopefully we can get this under control in the next 3 weeks!!

6.  I've come to the realization that the nursery will NOT be ready before baby comes.  I still have too much to do, have sewing I wanted to do and when I look at it I can't get my mind to slow down long enough to remember how to use a pattern :)  I have some crafty ideas going on in my head that I want to do for the nursery as well but they might not get done either.  Poor second child...  :)

7.  I have gotten a lot of other baby stuff ready.  I sterilized bottles and all other feeding accessories.  Even though I'm planning to breastfeed again, I learned my lesson with Maddie...we didn't have any bottles or anything sterilized because I was determined I was going to nurse her.  Well, my milk didn't come in soon enough for her and she was STARVING so then we had quite the fiasco trying to get everything sterilized (it took more than one attempt, believe it or not!) while we had a screaming baby :)  It was a pretty stressful event for being home from the hospital for less than 24 hours!  This time we're prepared!  I also washed all baby clothes from newborn through 3 months, organized a few drawers and cabinets to make space for baby stuff and started staging baby stuff near the bassinet in our room...now we just need baby to come :)  (oh, and for Eric to install the car seat bases when he gets home!)

I guess that's it for now.  Although, since my mind never stops, I'm sure I'll think of more that I wanted to share as soon as I publish this post.  :)

1 comment: