Thursday, January 12, 2012

Llama, Llama, Boo Boo Drama

Maddie must be the most dramatic kid ever!  It's cute and ridiculous at the same time.  She seems to be most dramatic over boo boos.  It's been this way as long as I can remember.  I remember when she was really young, the first time she scraped her knee.  She would go along her day as usual, obviously not in any pain from the scraped knee.  But then if she caught a glimpse of it she would start crying and pointing to her knee as if it was a fresh boo boo.  So, I learned that I had to always put long pants on her to cover them up and she'd be just fine :)

A couple of days ago Maddie was playing in the playroom before breakfast.  Everything was fine until all of a sudden she started crying and told me something was wrong with her wrist.  She couldn't move it.  She told me if she twists it it hurts so she has to hold it still.  I was trying to figure out what she had done to herself, looking around in the playroom for any clues since she was fussing too much to give me any information.  Within a few minutes she decided she wanted breakfast.  I got her a cup of yogurt and a spoon and she started crying because her wrist hurt so bad that she wasn't going to be able to feed herself!  I asked to look at her writst, promising not to touch, of course!  She let me look and I saw some dry drool.  I asked if that was where it was hurting and she said yes.  I grabbed a warm, damp wash cloth and wiped it off.  Yup, that was the end of the boo boo.  She was fine the rest of the day.  She thought since it looked like a boo boo, then certainly it must hurt, right?  Silly girl!

Today she has a little cut on her finger.  It's on the back of her finger, just behind the fingernail.  The finger does look red and puffy so I'm sure it hurts.  But this kid can't. do. anything.  She's bedridden (well, couch-ridden) and needs me to do everything for her.  She's crying off and on (probably every time she looks at it) and whining and fussing that it hurts.  I had been offering suggestions such as some ointment (which she HATES), bandaids, lotion, a kiss...anything.  She refused anything and actually started screaming at me when I made a suggestion.  Well, mommy finally had enough of it and told her I was going to take care of it.  I put some Neosporin on a bandaid (where she couldn't see me doing it), then brought the bandaid to put on her finger.  This is where things got crazy...she was pulling away from me and pulling at my arms with her free hand.  I had to get her behind me so I could put her arm between my legs to hold it still.  We wrestled like this for at least a full minute before she held still enough for me to get the bandaid on securely enough (I'm surprised I didn't really injure her wrist with this move!!).  She proceeded to scream/cry for a minimum of 10 minutes.  I'm not even exaggerating.  What a mess!

Ahhhh....these will be fun things to laugh about when she has a 3 1/2 year old of her own one day and can't get over how dramatic she is!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment