Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Little More

I didn't want to make that last post too long, so I thought I'd start a new one :)  It's time for an update on Maddie and me.

Maddie is now 2 years and 5 months old.  In just one month she'll be half way to 3 years old! WHAT?!?!  How is that possible?  Anyway, let me focus on the present.  Maddie continues to grow and blossom.  She's turning into such an incredible little girl.  She's so polite and uses her manners most of the time.  She's considerate and always asks me how I'm feeling or if I like something or if I'm happy.  She's just so sweet. 

On the other hand, she's also starting to get a little sneaky.  She knows mommy's occupied with Sadie so she takes that opportunity to get into things she's not supposed to be getting into.  She's been climbing up into our bathroom sink lately and helping herself to our toothbrushes, the Q-tips, my eyeliner.  Basically anything on the counter is fair game.  And I should take a picture of my mirror...it's never had so many hand/finger prints and smears on it!  The other day she came out of the bathroom with the cap off of her toddler toothpaste and was squeezing in to her mouth and eating it!  There's no limit to what she'll get in to.  What a handful. 

Maddie has started opening doors now.  One day when I went outside to take out the trash she LOCKED ME OUT OF THE HOUSE.  Thank God she can follow directions so I was able to talk her through unlocking it.  Now anytime I go out the door I make sure to take the key with me :)  She has unlocked and opened the front door when she was playing her cousins were coming to visit.  I'm glad I was nearby so she didn't wander too far. 

Maddie's really into the Christmas spirit already.  She didn't care much about Halloween but has already started asking me about Christmas.  One night I was up feeding Sadie and as I walked by Maddie's room I opened her door to turn off her ceiling fan and she said to me, "Mommy, you just 'heared' Santa?".  I guess she thought the noise I was making was Santa coming.  Then one day she randomly said to me, "Mommy, please tell Santa I want some more kitchen stuff".  She has told Sadie that they're going to Santa's house.  I don't know why she got into such a Christmas mood!  This Christmas should be really fun :)

I can't even think of all the cute stuff she's been doing...it's getting too late and I'm too tired!

A quick update on me and the household.  I'm still managing to survive as a mom of two!  Most days I feel in control (of everything except Maddie) but I'm definitely tired every day.  My biggest personal struggle right now is letting go of control.  I KNOW I can't be in control of everything all the time but it's so hard for me.  I'm a planner.  I like to know what I'm doing, when I'm doing it, who I'm doing it with and where I'll be.  I like to be early for things.  I shoot to be 10 minutes early at a minimum to appointments and HATE to be late.  I like to have my meals planned out and have dinner on the table no later than 5:30.  These days I'm lucky to be on time to anything, even with serious planning.  I can pack the diaper bag the night before, pack Maddie's lunch, have the coffee pot prepared, etc. but somehow there's still some kind of melt down (by either Maddie or me) in the morning that causes a delay.  I'm still making my menu for the week and doing my grocery shopping according to the menu.  The problem is that I sometimes don't get to my grocery shopping at the beginning of the week so then I don't have all of the ingredients I need for the first few days so I end up feeding Maddie whatever I have around the house.  She's had a lot of mac and cheese lately.  The other meal problem I have is that when I plan to cook dinner it never fails that Sadie is having a "bad" day and wants to be held all afternoon.  Then I don't get around to cooking and I have the ingredients on hand that I had planned to use...BLAH.  So far I've had very few days where I felt like I couldn't handle things.  I've also had days where I turn into the kind of mom I don't want to be.  I've lost my patience a lot with Maddie and I've yelled at her out of anger.  It kills me when I can't control my emotions with her.  I'm trying to teach her how to control her emotions but here I am losing control over mine.  I'm not setting a good example.  I try to wake up each morning and start fresh.  I'm trying to put yesterdays stress behind me and deal with what the new day is going to throw at me.  Yesterday Maddie and I made sugar cookies.  It wasn't planned, but I felt like I hadn't been giving her enough attention with Sadie being so sick and needing me all the time so I took advantage of a little spare time and we made cookies.  It was the first time she used cookie cutters and she had a blast!  Then she had even more fun decorating them (although she says, "I decorationed these cookies") and eating the icing. 

Here are a couple pictures of the cookie festivities:





1 comment:

  1. She is getting so big!! Such a pretty girl!

    Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have our moments :)

    Hope Sadie gets better soon :(

    ReplyDelete