Sunday, July 5, 2009

Living with a Teenager

Well, today was a MUCH better day than yesterday; mood-wise for me, that is. Maddie was testing me today, as usual :) But today she has a little bit of an excuse...she turned 13 today. Oh, 13 months! Sometimes I wonder if the 13 month attitude parallels a 13 year attitude. She can get quite testy at times. So far I've been able to deal with it and, for the most part, get her to "chill". When she starts to have a tantrum of sorts, I just say, "Uh, excuse me!". I guess she understands what that means because she stops what she's doing and looks at me. That's when I tell her that her behavior isn't acceptable, blah, blah, blah. She might not understand everything I tell her at this point, but one day she will and I don't want it to be any surprise when I won't let her act this way anymore. Better to start off in the beginning getting her to behave how I expect her to as she gets older, otherwise she won't understand why the rules have changed all of a sudden!

No comments:

Post a Comment