Saturday, January 16, 2010

Burrito Casserole

This is one of my newest favorites!  Eric even liked it and he doesn't like sour cream :)  I just froze some for the first time so I'll update later when I reheat it from the freezer...hopefully it'll be just as good.  I'm a little concerned about the cheese, I probably should've made some without cheese to freeze.  Then after it's reheated add the cheese.  But we'll see!

Burrito Casserole

1 lb ground beef or ground turkey (I used 96% lean ground beef and there was no need to drain the grease)
1 can refried beans
2-3 C shredded taco cheese or cheddar cheese (the first time I made it, I used cheddar.  The last time I made it I used colby cheese since that was all I had)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 oz sour cream
1/2 chopped medium onion
1 package taco seasoning
6 lg flour tortillas (I made my casserole in a 9x9 so I only used 4 tortillas)
hot sauce (optional) (I didn't use hot sauce since I was also feeding this to Maddie)

Brown the meat and onion, then drain off the grease.  Add meat back to pan, add taco seasoning and refried beans.  In a searate bowl combine soup and sour cream.  Put 1/2 C of sour cream mixture spread over bottom of a casserole dish.  Break of a few tortillas and lay them over the sour cream mixture.  Add about 1/2 of the meat mixture over tortillas.  Add hot sauce if you like.  Repeat layers to your liking.  Add cheese to top of the casserole.  Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!  I made mine in a 9x9 because I like nice, thick layers...but this could easily be made in a 9x13 and would be just as delicious!  I hope you try it, it's definitely a favorite in our house!  Maddie even likes it, but because of the bit of spice the taco seasoning adds she says "boo boo" after every bite and then has to have a drink.  It was pretty cute :)









1 comment:

  1. Tasty! Thanks for posting, will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete